In addition to new support for Modern Desktop Apps to prepare consumer apps for the Windows Store, Windows 10 Insider Preview 14316 "Enterprise" edition started including the Microsoft App-V client. Microsoft is putting App-V on a path where you, installation developers, will be able to reliably release desktop applications to your enterprise customers as a virtualized Microsoft App-V application.
What This Means for You and Your Enterprise Customers
Today, many of your enterprise customers are likely converting your desktop applications into App-V by themselves. When IT administrators execute this virtualization process, they accept some level of risk in regards to negatively impacting the application. They typically do not have access to automated unit tests or a mature QA team to verify that all of an application’s behaviors work as the developer intended once virtualized.
This can lead to additional support calls, or may affect your software’s licensing. If instead, you—the software vendor—create the App-V virtual application, you gain control of:
- Application Quality: Validate that your application behaviors work as designed
- Software Licensing: Ensure that your product's licensing strategy supports application virtualization
- Package Quality: To ensure the App-V virtual package meets your high standards and industry best practices
- Customer Satisfaction: Reduce length and frequency of support calls from customers that would have otherwise tried to virtualize your application on their own
InstallShield Premier Supports App-V TODAY!
InstallShield Premier customers already have access to many capabilities to help virtualize your applications with Microsoft App-V:
- Microsoft App-V Suitability Testing: Before virtualizing your application for App-V, automatically identify any potential problem areas
- One project, multiple outputs: Provide your enterprise customers with flexible deployment options by creating both Microsoft App-V virtual packages and Windows Installer MSI installations from a single InstallShield project file and a shared build process
- App-V Launcher: Speed up testing by quickly and easily launching App-V virtual packages without all the infrastructure
Additional App-V Resources
- Microsoft App-V: What Developers Need to Know
- Why Software Companies are Providing Their Applications as Microsoft App-V Packages
- Steps to Take to Create an App-V Application Using InstallShield
We’d love to hear how Windows 10 is changing how you release software to your enterprise customers. Will you be using App-V?
InstallShield® is the world's leading Windows installation development solution. InstallShield is designed to enable development teams to be more agile, collaborative and flexible when building reliable InstallScript and Windows Installer MSI installations for desktop, server, Web, virtual and traditional applications. The software installer of choice for today's sophisticated application producers, InstallShield is the only software installer that can directly convert MSIs to Microsoft App-V virtual packages. Get your free trial of InstallShield today or contact us for more information.
InstallAnywhere is the leading multiplatform development solution for application producers who need to deliver a professional and consistent cross installation experience for physical, virtual and cloud environments. From a single project file and build environment, InstallAnywhere creates reliable installations for on-premises platforms – Windows, Linux, Apple OS X, Solaris, AIX , HP-UX, and IBM iSeries – and enables you to take existing and new software products to a virtual and cloud infrastructure and build Docker containers. Get your free trial of InstallAnywhere or contact us for more information.